Harvest and Abundance

Welcome Forums General discussion Harvest and Abundance

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Serge LEROYER
      Keymaster

A place to share the positive results we are achieving on our food growing journey.
      The mulberries, both white (established trees) and black (last year cuttings) are starting to ripen, but the wild raspberries have been ripening for a couple of weeks and have heaps more yet to ripen. I found a bush up on the hill a few year back while clearing lantana regrowth. it’s super healthy and the wildlife stay away thanks to the vicious thorn. I believe it’s an Atherton raspberry. I have since found a few more young bushes, the bird must be spreading the seed.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      LANI
      Participant

Hi Serge. Great, and thanks for starting this conversation.
      I found some white mulberries, almost ripe. Berries in the garden would be nice. I should ask your birds to drop some over our way!
      We bagged bananas yesterday. Nice looking bunches.
      Potatoes are taking off but it’s only the second time I’ve grown any, and will have to be patient. They seem to grow easy enough, but when it’s something new (to us) we often expect it to fail. What a conundrum..
      My granddaughter helped me plant the avocado seeds I’ve been collecting, and I have about 30 in pots – even though I know (and you said) they’re better straight in the ground. I’ve lost too many that way, so am giving them a headstart and will plant them as seedlings. Simone, from Wolvi Mountain avocado farm, recommended I trim the avocado trees that didn’t do well after the floods. I lost most of them earlier in the year, then the remaining ones started to droop and lose leaves as well – so I did trim them back, and now they’re sprouting. I heard other good avo advice from another friend – that when they are inundated with rain (which they don’t handle well) to feed them up. Apparently they can handle the inundation as long as they’re getting nutrients to replace what they’re losing. I could post this to a separate “Avocado” discussion if you think there’s more for people to share on this… Just a thought.

Lucy House
      Participant

I didn’t see these posts earlier. I need to change my settings to get notifications. I have mostly been harvesting leafy greens but eggplants are just starting. Everything else are seedlings. Tomatoes seem to be slow. We are in the midst of converting our orchard to a Syntropic styled orchard. Planting about 20 eucalyptus grandis amongst it all. I’m planting some grape cuttings for future wine making and dragon fruit cuttings/transplants also. We need to plant more bananas and so if anyone has plenty of suckers that we could come and get, that would be wonderful. I’m also chasing kangkong if anyone has any.

We are having a bumper crop with the mulberries this year…think it was the savage pruning of the big tree. Didn’t cut the three new younger trees and they are just so so.

Lucy House
      Participant

If you’ve got too many mulberries let me know and I’ll come and pick some 😋 my trees are only babies! We are looking to get a heap of cuttings off someone, but it’s probably not the right time now.

Lissa
      Participant

Jennifer, its great that you’re mulberries are doing so well. We cut back one of our 2 trees and the mulberries did start growing in small numbers, but then they dried up before they were ripe. Then they started fruiting again and did the same thing. The tree looks really healthy and the new leaf growth is huge. Not sure what has gone wrong? Last year we were picking a yoghurt sized container full of mulberries every day. This year we have had none! Maybe we pruned the tree too late? I don’t know… does anyone have any ideas?, Lissa

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar