Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Lucy House
      Participant

I cannot grow choko (lucky Serge can!)but if you can, you probably have surplus right now! I cooked up some sliced choko with sugar and vanilla and mixed it with some preserved apples to make an apple crumble for dessert. I was very impressed with the sweet choko – the texture was good too. I have also recently made some “kraut” with chokos. Peel and coarse grate (I used a mandolin, but next time I think I’ll use my Thermomix). I added mustard seeds and celery seeds but not sure either were necessary, or maybe just too much mustard. I might use caraway seed next time to try something different. Make sure you weigh the choko once peeled. Use 3% of this weight in salt. Mix and squeeze until there’s enough liquid to cover the grated choko. Press into a jar or crock and leave for about a week – no more. I like the way fermented choko keeps its texture like it does when cooked. I actually did:
      1.2kg grated choko
      36g salt
      1/2 teaspoon fermented turmeric
      1/4 teaspoon fermented chilli
      1/8 teaspoon celery seeds
      1/2 tablespoon mustard seeds
      You could also just slice the choko and make a 3% brine and pour that over the sliced choko. I really liked the kraut texture though, so will do it again.
      Photo of the crumble as I haven’t taken one of the kraut!

Lucy House
      Participant

Sorry, the photo didn’t work for some reason! Maybe check out my instagram @healthyfarminghealthyfood

Lucy House
      Participant

I’m keen to make some more Choko kraut. We’re eating it as fast as I can make it. So I’m wondering how people’s supply is going, as I can’t grow it I’d like to get some more. Don’t have much to swap except milk cucumbers or pumpkins. Regula and serge, do you still have any? Or if someone else does and would like to swap or learn how to make kraut with them let me know. Thanks.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Lucy House.
      Kim
      Participant

Hi Lucy I have a few kilo of choko and would love to swap for some choko krout

Lucy House
      Participant

Hi Kim,
      Are you the same Kim that is going to the farm walk on Sunday. If so, bring some along then. otherwise we can organise a meet up at some stage. I’m nearly out of my kraut i made – I made about 6 kgs of chokos into kraut last time!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar