Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Lucy House
      Participant

Mick planted an artichoke in my garden and I have no idea when to pick it. Can anyone help?

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Serge LEROYER
      Keymaster

Right now, it looks like it’s starting to open up (into a flower), if you wait any longer it will he too late.
      Looks like the smaller one can wait a bit longer

Lucy House
      Participant

Thanks Serge, now I just need to work out if it’s worth eating it. I’ve eaten them years ago, and do remember that they were a lot of work for little benefit.

Regula Waser
      Participant

I used to live them, haven’t had them since I left Switzerland 35 years ago. Although it is more the sauce you scoop up with the petals than the actual artichoke you taste, but still yummy!

Lucy House
        Participant

Thanks Regula, if I had more than one I’d invite you over to share it!

Lucy House
      Participant

I ate my artichoke. It had opened up even more today and may have been getting past it. It was tasty, but you don’t get much to eat off one artichoke!!! Thanks for your help Serge and Regula, I’ll keep an eye on the next one! Maybe I need to plant more. Do I just leave one on there and let it go to seed? Also, how many can I expect off one plant?

Troy Lowe
      Participant

If you leave it be, apparently turns into a great flower that the local bees will love you for. I had a few in but only 1 survived, it would be close on a year old now so i am guessing will flower soon.🤷‍♂️

Lucy House
      Participant

I think I need to get another plant. I have no more on and who wants to eat one artichoke at a time!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar